Thursday, June 10, 2010

First Byline

Today was exciting.

I have been writing all week long, but today I got my first byline for a story I wrote about a police chief that got arrested.

The story was put on the Texas wire around noonish and was being picked up shortly thereafter. It made it to around five websites including the Austin American-Statesman and the Houston Chronicle.

A while back in my news editing class, Lourdes Cueva-Chacón gave us a little workshop on how to use the tools from google accounts along with other useful tools for research and social media. During that workshop I made a google alert for any time my name Elida S. Perez pops up on the Web.

Let's just say it was super handy today in keeping track of where that story published. Every time a news outlet picked it up, I got an update. Without it, let's just say it would have been very challenging to find out where it landed or if it landed anywhere.

So, yey!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Elida! I'm so glad I helped and very very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete